Sunday, December 27, 2009

Who I am and Why am I doing this!

Well, I never thought I would start a blog in my life, but here I am! There are a few reason's why I did decided to this. My main reasons was I needed a place to put down my thoughts such as my hurdles, my victories, my frustrations and my rants in my journey to losing weight. This Blog is for me! If on the off chance people do read this I want them to know that you are not alone out there and their are others like you who are struggling with being obese/fat and who are also trying to do something about it.

I understand that this will be a long journey and it will require me to make lifestyle changes! I also know it sounds easier then it sounds.

So back to Who is this Guy!

Well I am 41 year old guy who is 5 feet 11 inches and was 323 when I started my adventure in October 2009. I have a Wife, Son and Daughter and they are the reason I need to lose the weight and get healthy. I want to be around to enjoy them as they get older and be their when they start there families.

Growing up I was always a Big Boy! I grew up wearing Husky brand pants as a kid (I think they were made by Sears) and they had this big brown label on the right rear pocket that said "HUSKY". I was never able to wear what I called regular clothes. As I got older it became harder to shop in stores for off the rack (still have that problem today). Most if not all the time it was order from the JC Penny or SEARS catalog and this continued thru Jr High. Now growing up I played soccer and little league and even then uniforms were a bit small for me. I remember one year in baseball I had to have a completely different jersey from my team because they did not have my size! So in the team picture there I am standing out like a sore thumb..

When I started high School it got a bit taller and played football. This is when I lost a few pounds, put on some muscle, but still was big. I played offensive guard so I needed to be able to hold my own. Here also is were I got tagged with the nickname of "Side of Beef". I sometimes look back at that time and wish I would have taken my fitness training more serious and continued on after high school, but it is what it is.

After graduating one thinks that they are always going to remain at their high school weight. Wrong! as like some/most we stop doing the regular activities that we did in school. Now, don't get me wrong I continued some activities such as backpacking, hiking and some softball leagues but it just wasn't enough and I got REAL lazy and that is why I am at were I am. I will say it again!

5 feet 11 inches and over 300 hundred pounds!

Above I mentioned I was doing this for myself and my family. Well, it is mostly for my family. I want to grow old with my wife and enjoy my kids as I get older. I say this because of my Dad.

My Dad was not only a parent he was my best friend! I lost him in March of 1994 he was only 51 years old. He was a "big guy" they would always say, but he was also not healthy. He was not a drinker or smoker but he did not take care of himself when it came to what he ate and because of this his weight was about 350 or so pounds and was a type 2 Diabetic. In addition he was also trying to control his blood pressure.

I, my Mom and brother lost him at age 51! he was unable to be around to not only see his 4 grandchildren but to get to know then and enjoy them! He also was not around for my Mom and my borther and I.

I was never mad at my Dad when growing up but sometimes I get mad at him for not being here now!

So that is where I am at in my life now and why I need to change it!

to be continued...

Tomorrow: What I have done since August 2009.

1 comment:

  1. Good on you for making the decision to change your life. I was just a bit under your weight when I started and it is worth the struggle.

    ReplyDelete